2013年1月30日 星期三

Wiktionary - Recent changes [en]: Wiktionary:Requests for deletion

Wiktionary - Recent changes [en]
Track the most recent changes to the wiki in this feed.
Wiktionary:Requests for deletion
Jan 30th 2013, 21:13

die: Talk:die

← Older revision Revision as of 21:13, 30 January 2013
Line 1,377: Line 1,377:
   
 
See ''[[Enterococcus faecalis#Alternative forms]]'' for the treatment of these I propose as a general replacement for now. This would cause a searchbox search to include all of the entries with such an alternative name to appear on the list generated, at of near the top. It doesn't help if the user can't use the search results, of course. The alternative is to generate Translingual disambiguation-type pages for all of the possibilities. [[User: DCDuring |DCDuring]] <small >[[User talk: DCDuring|TALK]]</small > 15:50, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
 
See ''[[Enterococcus faecalis#Alternative forms]]'' for the treatment of these I propose as a general replacement for now. This would cause a searchbox search to include all of the entries with such an alternative name to appear on the list generated, at of near the top. It doesn't help if the user can't use the search results, of course. The alternative is to generate Translingual disambiguation-type pages for all of the possibilities. [[User: DCDuring |DCDuring]] <small >[[User talk: DCDuring|TALK]]</small > 15:50, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
 
== [[die]] ==
 
 
"To cause the death of a player character while controlling it." The usex is "I can't go to level four because I always die against the boss of level three." "Die" is clearly not the remarkable part of that sentence; it's "I" which is being used to mean "the thing I am controlling, my character, my avatar", but I'm not sure if even that merits a sense at [[[[I]]]]. [[User:-sche|- -sche]] [[User talk:-sche|(discuss)]] 19:06, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
 
 
: I don't feel that this is a separate sense either, but the way I read that sentence, the "I" who can't go to level four is the player, while the "I" who dies is the in-game character. The in-game character would not know about game levels. [[User:Equinox|Equinox]] [[User_talk:Equinox|◑]] 21:04, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
 
:: '''Delete this'''. Also if we were to add such a sense to I, we'd need to add it to you, we, they (etc.) same would apply to French [[je]], [[tu]] (etc.) unless I'm badly wrong. [[User:Mglovesfun|Mglovesfun]] ([[User talk:Mglovesfun|talk]]) 21:10, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
 
 
: Also, compare utterances of (say) a player of ''Tomb Raider'', like "I just fell off a cliff" (new sense at {{term|fall off}}?); "I just picked up some ammo" (new sense at {{term|pick up}}?). ''die'' is not unique. '''Delete'''. [[User:Equinox|Equinox]] [[User_talk:Equinox|◑]] 22:13, 10 October 2012 (UTC)
 
 
:: I think this is also related to an airplane pilot saying "I keep getting hit by birds." even though it is the airplane that is getting hit by birds. The only difference in the video game sense is that the player is not physically located inside the game character. It's just a more figurative use of pronouns (doesn't have to be "I"). --[[User:Wikitiki89|WikiTiki89]] ([[User talk:Wikitiki89|talk]]) 06:21, 11 October 2012 (UTC)
 
 
:'''Delete'''. Aside from the other problems, there's confusion about the difference between semantics and syntax: "die" is an intransitive verb, and thus can't have a transitive verb like "cause" substitute for it. Although "dying" has the result of the player character dying because of the actions of the player, '''grammatically''' there's no object involved. [[User:Chuck Entz|Chuck Entz]] ([[User talk:Chuck Entz|talk]]) 06:54, 11 October 2012 (UTC)
 
 
:: I disagree with that analysis. An intransitive verb can certainly be swapped with a verb phrase headed by a transitive verb; for example, "to converse" means "to make conversation", even though "converse" is intransitive and "make" is transitive. For that matter, "to kill" can be used intransitively to mean "to kill someone", even though the latter phrase uses it transitively. —[[User: Ruakh |Ruakh]]<sub ><small ><i >[[User talk: Ruakh |TALK]]</i ></small ></sub > 20:22, 13 October 2012 (UTC)
 
 
::: True. The definition is still wrong, though, in that when "I die" in a video, it's usually not because I "caused" my character to die (except in a blame-the-victim-for-the-rape interpretation of causality), it's usually because some [[baddie]] killed me against my will. [[User:-sche|- -sche]] [[User talk:-sche|(discuss)]] 23:20, 14 October 2012 (UTC)
 
 
:::: You still caused it by sucking at playing the game :) [[User:Equinox|Equinox]] [[User_talk:Equinox|◑]] 23:23, 14 October 2012 (UTC)
 
:::: @-sche Thank you for rescuing my point from my attempt to explain it... [[User:Chuck Entz|Chuck Entz]] ([[User talk:Chuck Entz|talk]]) 01:04, 15 October 2012 (UTC)
 
::::: There is no more causation here than there is in real life. "The soldier died in the war." Does that mean he caused himself to die because by sucking at fighting in a war? --[[User:Wikitiki89|WikiTiki89]] ([[User talk:Wikitiki89|talk]]) 08:58, 15 October 2012 (UTC)
 
 
:'''Deleted''' in [http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=die&diff=18922161&oldid=18907298 this edit]. [[User:-sche|- -sche]] [[User talk:-sche|(discuss)]] 09:13, 31 December 2012 (UTC)
 
   
 
== [[information technology]] ==
 
== [[information technology]] ==

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

沒有留言:

張貼留言